The stick is one of the most personalized pieces of equipment for the player. For beginners, the easiest place to start is with an intermediate or junior complete stick based on age. As a player develops their game, they will often mix and match heads and handles to fit their game and style of play. All heads and handles from True Temper Lacrosse are interchangeable and can be assembled using a simple screw attachment in the back of the head and handle.
Offensive Heads (Attack / Offensive Midfielders): These players often look for tighter face shape to help keep the ball in the stick when dodging and to channel the ball down the center of the pocket on passes and shots for more consistency & accuracy.
All-Around Heads (Midfielders, Attack, Defense): These players often look for heads that are easy to scoop with and have deeper pocket technologies in the sidewall design to help transition the ball up the field. These heads are great for midfielders or any player that wants a head to work on both offensive and defensive sides of the game during transition play.
Defensive Heads (Defense, Defensive midfielders): These players often use heads with slightly wider face shapes to pick off passes and generally prefer heads with stiffer flex profiles to deliver stronger checks. These heads were built for defenseman and defensive midfielder players that are more defensive minded in their game / style of play.
Youth Heads (All Positions): Players that are just starting out benefit from a head with a flatter scoop that makes scooping ground ball pickups easier. The face shape is generally slightly wider to help with catching. Youth heads work for any position on the field – attack, midfield and defense.
HEAD STIFFNESS PROFILES
Head stiffness profiles vary depending on what you are looking for in your stick and how it fits your game. Choose a flex profile from the chart below that fits your style.
ProSTIFF Heads = STIFFER
- ProSTIFF heads maintain their shape better during play, providing the most consistent release point and increased accuracy when passing and shooting. When throwing checks, stiffer heads will transfer more energy leading to more powerful checks.
SmartFLX Heads = MEDIUM
- SmartFLX heads combine the consistency of stiffer heads with the flexibility and pocket feel of more flexible heads. They deliver more balanced performance making it the best of both worlds.
PowerFLX Heads: = MORE FLEXIBLE
- These provide the best pocket feel when cradling and dodging. The more flexible head tends to flow and move naturally with the ball and pocket movement giving you the best feel of the ball in the stick. These heads also have scoops that tend to flex on ground ball pickups – which is great for younger players just learning how to scoop the ball into the pocket.
For all field players – a stick’s pocket depth is considered “legal” when the stick is held horizontal (parallel to the ground) and the ball is visible above the bottom rail of the head when resting in the pocket. If the ball is not visible above the bottom rail, the strings must be adjusted / tightened to create a legal pocket.
HANDLE (SHAFT) TYPES
Offensive players (attackman & midfielders): These players use a 30” handle length with their lacrosse head. This is often called “short sticks” or “attack sticks.”
Defensive players (defenseman & LSM long stick midfielders): These players use a 60” handle length with their lacrosse head. This is often called “long poles” or “defense sticks.”
Youth players (players 10U and younger): Offensive youth players (attack, midfielder) 10U and younger are permitted under US Lacrosse Rules to use a shorter handle length than the standard adult shorts sticks. Our junior stick features a special 28” handle length for youth players looking for a better fitting and more proportional stick to their overall size.
BOX players (box indoor players, field defensive midfielders): These players tend to gravitate to a more durable handle construction built to withstand the heavier checks seen in the indoor game. Indoor / Box players will only use a 30” or 32” length handle.
HANDLE STIFFNESS PROFILES
Similar to the head category, Handle flex profiles vary depending on what you are looking for in your stick and how it fits your game. Choose a flex profile from the chart below that fits your style.
ProSTIFF Handles = STIFFER
- ProSTIFF handles offer the least amount of flex. They directly transfer energy to the ball during shots and have less “head lag” when shooting for a more consistent release and improved accuracy out of the pocket.
SmartFLX Handles = MEDIUM
- SmartFLX handles are the best all-around handle because they have a medium stiffness profile – giving players a consistent release point but also incorporating a little more flex in the handle to absorb impacts and increase overall durability on checks.
PowerFLX Handles: = MORE FLEXIBLE
- PowerFLX handles offer more flex to absorb the most amount of energy on stick checks improving overall durability. They also transfer the feel of the ball in the pocket more directly to the hands giving you better pocket feel and better control in the stick when cradling. More flexible handles can give you more whip and more power on your shot.
Multi-FLEX Handles: multiple flex profiles in a single handle
- Multi-FLEX handles are our most innovative flex profiles that are constructed using state-of-art composite layups to engineer specific flex zones into the handle. The coordination of different flex profiles comes from on-field playtesting with our professional players, college players, and high school players. These sticks provide something special in terms of performance that normal alloys (metal) handles cannot imitate.